Welcome to the Health Information Center
The Health Information Center is located within the main lobby, providing patients, family members and the community with valuable information on the latest health news and free research for specific diseases or illnesses.
The Health Information Center offers an extensive health library, digital and print resources, walk-in assistance, and help with research on specific health conditions—all free of charge.
Services and Resources Available:
- Reliable and up-to-date medical information
- Friendly librarians who are certified consumer health information specialists
- Confidential patient education
- Research can be requested in person or by phone, email via an online form
- Computer access for medical research while visiting the hospital
- Comfortable and quiet atmosphere that fosters learning
- Resources are available in Spanish
Benefits the Health Information Center can provide:
- Increased patient education with resources that are understandable
- Improved patient-to-physician communication, which can result in better informed healthcare decisions
- Can empower patients and caregivers to take an active role in their healthcare
- Potentially shorten hospital stays and improve quality of life
Health Information Center
The University of Tennessee Medical Center
1924 Alcoa Highway
Knoxville, TN 37920
Library guides are assembled by librarians at Preston Medical Library on various topics relevant to consumer health. Know what we know - find it in LibGuides!
LibGuide subjects include:
Dietary Supplements Label Database
Within the DSLD you can search for products either in the market, off the market, or consumed by National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey participants in the latest survey in the DSLD database
eMedicine offers research information on drugs and diseases. Offers a comprehensive list of reliable health news, and in-depth reports on various specialties.
MedlinePlus is the National Institutes of Health's Web site for patients and their families and friends. MedlinePlus offers reliable, up-to-date health information, anytime, anywhere, for free.
Health Information (NIH)
Explore recent health news, featured tools, health resources, and search for diseases and conditions in one convenient area on NIH.
Haz-Mat® is an occupational health database designed for health and safety professionals and for consumers seeking information about the adverse effects of workplace exposures to chemical and biological agents.
The LactMed® database contains information on drugs and other chemicals to which breastfeeding mothers may be exposed. It includes information on the levels of such substances in breast milk and infant blood, and the possible adverse effects in the nursing infant.
PubMed comprises more than 24 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
- Seven Substances Added to 14th Report on Carcinogens
- Injections Might Help Prevent Genital Herpes Transmission for Months: Study
- More Than Half of Americans Have Chronic Health Problem: Study
- Breast, Cervical Cancer More Deadly in Developing Nations: Report
- Heavy Drinking While Young May Mean Hefty Health Tab Later
- Anal Cancer Rates Rising in Many Parts of The World
- Could Loneliness Be an Early Sign of Alzheimer'S?