The Brain and Spine Institute is made up of experts in the field of neuroscience in order to bring patients the best healthcare in East Tennessee for a full range of neurological diseases and disorders.
June 12, 2013
6 ways men can age gracefully while staying healthy. There are various aspects of aging specific to men. It is important to be aware of simple aging processes and how they may affect your life. The following are the most common aging effects on men.
1. Enlarged prostate – The prostate is a male reproductive gland, when it becomes enlarged, it can press on the urethra and cause urination and bladder problems. Prostate enlargement happens to almost all men as they get older and does not raise your risk for prostate cancer. Men who are over the age of 60 are more likely to show symptoms. There are various treatment options based on the severity of their symptoms. Treatment options include “watchful waiting,” lifestyle changes, medication or sometimes surgery. However, in most cases self-care steps often suffice.
2. Rosacea – Men and women both can have rosacea. However, men with the condition are usually more severely affected. Rosacea involves swelling of the blood vessels just under the skin. It may appear as redness, prominent spider-like blood vessels, swelling or skin eruptions similar to acne. There is no known cure for rosacea. The goal is to identify and avoid possible triggers and thus reduce flare-ups. By keeping a symptom diary to identify the specific triggers you may have, you may be able to see a pattern of what makes your rosacea worse.
3. Hair loss – As many men age, they experience hair loss. Hair loss usually develops gradually and may be patchy or more evenly spread out. A common misconception about genetic baldness is that it is caused by excessive hair loss. Conversely, genetic hair loss is caused by the body’s failure to produce new hairs in the place of old hairs that naturally fall out over time. Treatment is not necessary if you are comfortable with your appearance. Hair weaving, hairpieces or change of hairstyle may disguise the hair loss. This usually is the least expensive and safest approach for male baldness. There are two main drugs used to treat male pattern baldness: Minoxidil (Rogaine) and Finasteride (Prospecia, Proscar).
4. Snoring – Snoring is a loud, hoarse or harsh breathing sound that occurs during sleep. It is very common in adults and not necessarily a sign of an underlying disorder. Sometimes, however, snoring can be a sign of a sleep disorder called sleep apnea. In most cases, the reason for snoring is not known. Some potential home remedies include eating healthier, clear any nasal congestion, don’t sleep on your back and avoid alcohol and other sleep sedatives. You should call your healthcare provider if you experience excessive daytime drowsiness, early morning headaches, weight gain, changes in your memory, concentration or attention.
5. Belly Fat – Men are more likely than women to gain belly fat as they age. As most men age, a certain amount of weight gain may develop around the abdominal area. Aside from purely aesthetic reasons, this extra weight increases men’s risk factors for multiple diseases and illnesses. Drinking beer also can increase the "beer belly" affect, limit your alcohol intake to cut calories and help your overall health and well-being. Visit the Healthy Living Kitchen for low-calorie recipes and nutritional advice.
6. Excess Hair - By mid-twenties men may experience an increase in back hair. This is completely normal and natural. However, some men, for cosmetic reasons prefer to get this hair removed. There are a few options such as waxing and shaving that take a more practical approach. Another option is laser hair removal, which is more expensive but will keep the hair away for a longer period of time.
Talk to your doctor about certain risk factors and screenings available. Your doctor will be able to identify the right remedies and medications, if needed, specific to you and your health. If you do not have a doctor, please allow us to help you find one.
Looking for a healthy tip on a certain topic? Search below...
One of the things people seem to always be seeking is tips on how to make their lifestyles healthier. Each week, we provide new healthy tips to help you meet your health and wellness goals. Have a healthy tip you'd like to share? Click below.Submit Healthy Tip