- Who We Are
- Our Physicians
- How We Can Help You
- Specialized Care for You
- How We Care for You
- A Team Working for You
- What This Means to You
The University of Tennessee Medical Center Chest Service in Knoxville, Tennessee provides a unique specialty service for patients with suspected or known lung disease, including chest malignancies. Through the Chest Service, coordination of care between specialists is maximized to provide quality comprehensive, cost-effective care.
One phone call to the Chest Service from a patient or physician initiates a prompt evaluation to determine the diagnosis and appropriate intervention for diseases of the chest, including lung cancer and esophagus cancer. The Chest Service aims to reduce patient/family anxieties while providing timely comprehensive care.
The Chest Service at our hospital will work in partnership with the referring physician to develop a plan of care, including follow up. At every phase of care, a detailed summary and update is promptly sent to the referring physician.
Raymond A. Dieter, III, MD
Jeffrey E. Everett, MD
Thomas E. Gaines, MD
John W. Mack, Jr., MD
Paul R. Branca, MD
Michael T. McCormack, MD
John C. Callison, Jr. MD
Chest Service Coordinator
Kim Driskill, RN, BSN
The Chest Service is designed to evaluate and manage patients with the following.
- An abnormal chest X-ray showing a nodule, mass or unresolved pneumonia.
- Suspected or known lung cancer or esophageal cancer and the related secondary effects
- A request for second opinion related to suspected or known lung cancer or esophageal cancer
- At high risk for lung cancer and needing lung cancer screening.
We offer specialized diagnostic testing and unique interventions for your care.
- CT/PET and other radionucleide scanning
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- Minimally invasive lung surgery
- Low-dose CT Lung Cancer Screening
- Therapeutic bronchoscopy
- Tumor destruction using thermal ablation, cautery and cryotherapy
- Tracheobronchial dilation and stenting
- CyberKnife stereotactic radiosurgery
- CT-guided Radio Frequency Ablation
- Computer Assisted Navigational Bronchoscopy
- Molecular Tumor Analysis
- CT-guided Biopsy Consultation
Patient management services will guide you through your care by doing the following.
- Testing and physician consultations scheduled within one week of referral to expedite diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care.
- Comprehensive evaluation including history, physical exam, laboratory testing and diagnostic studies (radiograph, needle biopsies and other procedures as appropriate) leading to diagnosis and a plan of care.
- Therapy options provided include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy or other treatments as appropriate.
- Access to National Cancer Institute-funded and industry-sponsored clinical trials.
- Smoking cessation services are offered through a cooperative coordination with Smoke-Free Knoxville at 215.QUIT or the UT Medical Center Cancer Institute at 865.305.8577.
You can have better peace of mind knowing we are working for you.
- Cases are presented weekly at a multidisciplinary conference. Specialists in the field of radiology, pathology, pulmonology, cardiothoracic surgery, radiation therapy and medical oncology are present for case-by-case consultations.
- Pulmonary conference recommendations are promptly sent to the referring physician. Follow up is arranged through the coordinator of the service.
How all of this comes together to benefit the patient
- Patients are followed by lung specialists, surgeons, physician assistants and nurse specialists.
- Improved quality of life for patients through timely access for diagnosis and treatment.
- Coordinated and comprehensive evaluation and case management will decrease patient/family anxiety, improve compliance and facilitate maintenance of the highest possible quality of life during patient’s subsequent clinical course.
- Improved access to community services and home care for patients and their families.
- Lifelong data follow up of patient’s clinical status, response to treatment and outcome.
1924 Alcoa Highway
Knoxville, TN 37920
Click here for maps and directions