2019 UTMC Nurse Excellence Award Winners
This year, seven nurses won the UTMC Nurse Excellence Award. They were nominated by medical center nursing managers and colleagues. The nurses won based on their:
- Exceptional clinical practice
- Distinguished contributions to the nursing profession.
Thirty-six nurses were nominated, in all. Here are this year’s winners:
- Lauren Ade, MSN, RN, APRN, AGCNS-BC – Clinical Nurse Specialist – HLVI
- Cassie Bivens, BSN, RN, CCRN – Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit
- Lindsey Caldwell, BSN, RN, RN-BC – 8 East – Medical Surgical
- Sandy Chesney, BSN, RN – MRI Radiology and Nursing Supervisor
- Freddy Garcia, BSN, RN – 11 East – General Surgery / GI
- Allison Herron, BSN, RN, CCRN – Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit
- Lori Shumaker, RN – 6 East – Medical Surgical
East Tennessee Excellence Nursing Award Winners
In addition, 14 nurses received the 2019 UTMC Nurse Excellence Award and the East Tennessee Excellence Nursing Award. The Tennessee Organization of Nurse Executives began these awards in 2018. The organization accept nominations submitted from area hospitals. And they select nurses in this region who are outstanding and provide exemplary care. These awards are considered a prestigious regional recognition.
- Sid Baker, BSN, RN – 9 East – Pulmonary Medicine
- Hannah Bellamy, BSN, RN, CMSRN – 5 East – Ortho / Trauma
- Richard Bernardi, BSN, RN, NVRN-BC – Neuro Critical Care
- Jill Carro, BSN, RN, CMSRN – 10 East – Trauma
- Rachel Coleman, BSN, RN – 5 South – Progressive Care Unit
- Jeanie Diden, BS, RN, CEN – LIFESTAR
- Theresa Gregg, BSN, RN, CAPA – UT Day Surgery
- Angela Latham, RN, RNC-NIC – Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Lisa Lisle, BSBA, BSN, RN, RN-BC – 11 East – General Surgery / GI
- Leah McIntire, BSN, RN – Ambulatory Surgery
- Donna Patterson, BSN, RN, NE-BC – Nurse Manager 11 East – General Surgery / GI
- Paul Stacy, RN, CMSRN – 5 East – Ortho / Trauma
- Stephanie Tebo, BSN, RN – 11 East – General Surgery / GI
- Tina Vinsant, BSN, RN, PCCN – 5 South – Progressive Care Unit
Congratulations and Thank You
Congratulations to these award recipients. And thank you to all the UT Medical Center nurses. You continue to provide the highest level of quality care to our patients. You deserve special recognition for your vast contributions and the positive impact you make every day.
East Tennessee Region’s Only Magnet Hospital
The American Nurse Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® is the most prestigious distinction a health care organization can receive for nursing excellence and quality patient outcomes. Organizations that achieve Magnet recognition are part of an esteemed group that demonstrates superior nursing practice and outcomes.
The University of Tennessee Medical Center is one of four hospitals/systems in Tennessee with Magnet designation. There are almost 6,000 hospitals in the U.S., but only around 8 percent of them have earned this special recognition.