The mission of the University of Tennessee Medical Center Medical Laboratory Science program is to recruit, educate, and prepare highly competent medical laboratory scientists to serve their patients and the healthcare profession while demonstrating high ethical and moral standards and the utmost in technical competence.
The University of Tennessee Medical Center Medical Laboratory Science program is committed to improving the quality of life of those we serve by being one of the leading programs in the state, with recognition of graduates for leadership, compassion and clinical expertise.
The goals of the University of Tennessee Medical Center Medical Laboratory Science program are to:
- Provide conscientious, caring, skilled medical laboratory scientists who are highly capable of comprehending, practicing, and furthering medical laboratory science, while meeting healthcare needs in the region.
- Uphold and promote the academic standards of the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), the State of Tennessee Medical Laboratory Board, and the University of Tennessee.
- Provide an appropriate combination of didactic and clinical experiences so that the students will develop competency in the skills needed to meet challenges of the profession.
- Provide a stimulating atmosphere for students, faculty and laboratory staff to promote the desire for learning and the development of new knowledge to respond to changing demands of the profession.
- Maintain a source of professionals who participate in bringing new knowledge to the clinical laboratories through research and continuing education.
- Develop graduates with the capacity to participate in leadership roles in education and management.
- Promote interest in the growth of medical laboratory science as a profession.
- Only through clinical experience, with the gradual reduction of supervision, will students develop the ability to organize work, make judgments and evaluations, handle problems and embrace professional responsibility. The student has the obligation to attain and maintain the expected competency in all areas pertinent to medical laboratory science.
As reported to NAACLS, our accrediting agency, for the prior three years:
- 100% graduation rate
- 0% attrition rate
- 100% job placement
- 100% pass rate for the MLS national exam