Joint Replacement Resources
Thank you for choosing the Advanced Orthopaedic Center for your joint replacement journey. We were the first in Tennessee to receive the Joint Commission's Advanced Certification for Total Hip and Knee Replacement. Since the program began, we have performed more than 8,500 total joint replacements.
A Wellness-Oriented Approach
The University Joint Replacement Center offers a wellness-oriented approach to joint replacement care. Our team understands mobility is the cornerstone of independent, healthy living.
We believe that early walking and activity after surgery is the best practice to aid you in achieving optimal function in your daily activities and hobbies. Our post-op care is designed with an aggressive physical therapy plan and a daily agenda that focuses on keeping our patients moving towards recovery.
Making Your Joint Replacement a Success
If you've had joint pain for a long time, this will give you pain relief and an improved quality of life. Proper preparation is what makes your surgery successful. The following will help ensure the best outcome of your surgery:
- Pick a coach or coaches who will help you through your recovery
- Read your Patient Guide carefully before attending Joint Class (your coach should read it, too)
- Attend Joint Class, so that you can have your questions answered one on one*
- Attend pre-anesthesia testing to determine if you are healthy enough for surgery *
- Optimize your health before (stop smoking, lose weight)
* These are pre-requirements for surgery. If for any reason you can't attend, call the Joint Coordinator at 865-305-6601.
Joint Replacement Center
After surgery, you will recover in our Joint Replacement Center, which provides its patients with a unique, wellness-oriented program. The center offers:
Therapy Services Program
This unique program is designed to optimize recovery through early mobilization. You will receive:
- Day-of-surgery physical therapy
- Twice a day physical therapy until you go home
- Group physical therapy
- Occupational therapy to help with daily functions, such as dressing and putting on your shoes
In addition to the Therapy Services Program, we also offer specialized nursing care.
- All nurses and their aides are trained specifically to work with joint replacement patients
- A Joint Center case manager will assist you with your discharge
- You will have a follow-up appointment with your surgeon, 4-18 days after your procedure
After you go home, rest and physical therapy play a vital role in your successful recovery.
Your joint replacement team is dedicated to caring for you through every phase of your journey. Our goal is to return you to your normal activities as quickly as possible.
For more information about the programs and services offered by the Joint Coordinator, call 865-305-6601.