Breastfeeding: Helping you get started
A Certified Lactation Consultant is available to see patients in the hospital after delivery. All team members are skilled in lactation for 24/7 support.
For concerns or questions after you have gone home or to make an appointment, call 865.305.9337.
UT Medical Center Lactation Services provides the following.
- BabyWeigh Scale - Use of the BabyWeigh Scale helps you determine whether your baby needs additional milk and automatically subtracts the "before" from the "after" weight and displays this calculation in an easy-to-read digital format.
- Up to date instructions on breastfeeding following the latest evidence based research
- Private and Individual instruction time
- Support for mothers with a baby in the Intensive Care Nursery or Intermediate Care Nursery
- Medela Symphony Electric Breast pumps to use if needed in the hospital.
- Breast Pump Rental Program is available, if needed.
In addition to the individual instructions we also offer classes. Breastfeeding Classes for expectant parents are held:
- Every month
- Reservations are required
- Call 864.305.9300 to reserve a place for mom, dad and their support people. View upcoming childbirth and baby classes on the Women and Infants Event Calendar.
- An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) will teach every class
For more information about Lactation Services or any other childbirth concerns or needs please call 865.305.9300.