Get Healthier Just by Staying More Active at Work
If you want to add more physical activity to your routine, work is a good place to start. After all, many of us spend most of our day here. While it can be challenging to fit a whole workout in during your work day, there are some simple ways to try to move more while you’re on the clock:
- Print to a different printer. Try printing to a printer located further away from your work area. Consider printing one floor up or down and take the stairs.
- Volunteer for the coffee run, or any other work errand.
- Take the stairs rather than the elevator.
- Park at a remote parking lot and walk to the office. The further away you park, the more activity you can include in your day.
- Walk and talk. Have a walking meeting or step in place while talking on the phone.
- Start meetings with five to 10 minutes of stretching or activity, or add in stretch or activity time mid-way through long meetings.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes, or bring comfortable shoes you can change into. The more comfortable walking is, the more likely you are to do it.
- Do 60- to 90-second standing breaks for every hour you sit.
- Keep a set of hand weights by your desk. Use them three or four times a day for muscle strengthening.
In addition, your workplace may offer fun ways to involve wellness in your life at work. Check their website or human resource department to get more information about these potential opportunities.
You should always talk to your doctor before changing anything drastic about your health plan. If you don’t have a doctor and would like help finding one, the UTMC Healthcare Coordination can help. They will talk to you about what insurance you have, what type of doctor you need, and what days are most convenient for you to make an appointment. Call them today at 865-305-6970 to make an appointment.
For more information about the benefits of staying active, recipe books, or any other wellness topic, contact the Health Information Center. The Health Information Center is a library staffed by medical librarians and certified health information specialists. If you let us know your health information needs, we will do research for you and email or mail it straight to your house. You can call us at 865-305-9525. We also have a large collection of health books covering a variety of topics, including the following:
Becoming a library member is free and only requires a picture ID.
The Health Information Center in located on the first floor the hospital. We have computers, printers, and a quiet place to take a break. We are open the following times:
Mon.-Thurs., 8:30 am-9 pm
Fri., 8:30 am-5 pm
Sat., 9 am-5 pm
Sun., 1 pm-9 pm