- Who We Are
- Our Physicians
- How We Can Help You
- Specialized Care for You
- How We Care for You
- A Team Working for You
- What This Means to You
The University of Tennessee Medical Center Chest Service in Knoxville, Tennessee provides a unique specialty service for patients with suspected or known lung disease, including chest malignancies. Through the Chest Service, coordination of care between specialists is maximized to provide quality comprehensive, cost-effective care.
One phone call to the Chest Service from a patient or physician initiates a prompt evaluation to determine the diagnosis and appropriate intervention for diseases of the chest, including lung cancer and esophagus cancer. The Chest Service aims to reduce patient/family anxieties while providing timely comprehensive care.
The Chest Service at our hospital will work in partnership with the referring physician to develop a plan of care, including follow up. At every phase of care, a detailed summary and update is promptly sent to the referring physician.
- Raymond A. Dieter, III, MD
- Jeffrey E. Everett, MD
- Thomas E. Gaines, MD
- John W. Mack, Jr., MD
- Lawrence S. Lee, MD
Chest Service Nurse Navigator
- Terri McDonald, RN
The Chest Service is designed to evaluate and manage patients with the following.
- An abnormal chest X-ray showing a nodule, mass or unresolved pneumonia.
- Suspected or known lung cancer or esophageal cancer and the related secondary effects
- A request for second opinion related to suspected or known lung cancer or esophageal cancer
- At high risk for lung cancer and needing lung cancer screening.
We offer specialized diagnostic testing and unique interventions for your care.
- CT/PET and other radionucleide scanning
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- Minimally invasive lung surgery
- Low-dose CT Lung Cancer Screening
- Therapeutic bronchoscopy
- Tumor destruction using thermal ablation, cautery and cryotherapy
- Tracheobronchial dilation and stenting
- CyberKnife stereotactic radiosurgery
- CT-guided Radio Frequency Ablation
- Computer Assisted Navigational Bronchoscopy
- Molecular Tumor Analysis
- CT-guided Biopsy Consultation
Patient management services will guide you through your care by doing the following.
- Testing and physician consultations scheduled within one week of referral to expedite diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care.
- Comprehensive evaluation including history, physical exam, laboratory testing and diagnostic studies (radiograph, needle biopsies and other procedures as appropriate) leading to diagnosis and a plan of care.
- Therapy options provided include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy or other treatments as appropriate.
- Access to National Cancer Institute-funded and industry-sponsored clinical trials.
- Smoking cessation services are offered through the Cancer Institute at 865.305.8577.
You can have better peace of mind knowing we are working for you.
- Cases are presented weekly at a multidisciplinary conference. Specialists in the field of radiology, pathology, pulmonology, cardiothoracic surgery, radiation therapy and medical oncology are present for case-by-case consultations.
- Pulmonary conference recommendations are promptly sent to the referring physician. Follow up is arranged through the coordinator of the service.
How all of this comes together to benefit the patient
- Patients are followed by lung specialists, surgeons, physician assistants and nurse specialists.
- Improved quality of life for patients through timely access for diagnosis and treatment.
- Coordinated and comprehensive evaluation and case management will decrease patient/family anxiety, improve compliance and facilitate maintenance of the highest possible quality of life during patient’s subsequent clinical course.
- Improved access to community services and home care for patients and their families.
- Lifelong data follow up of patient’s clinical status, response to treatment and outcome.
1924 Alcoa Highway
Knoxville, TN 37920
Click here for maps and directions