Outreach Program at UT Medical Center Cancer Institute to Provide Access to Screening Mammograms in Hancock County Through Komen Tri-Cities Affiliate Grants Program
Published: Friday, June 17, 2016
The Tri-Cities Affiliate of Susan G. Komen® has awarded a $3,105 grant to the Breast Health Outreach Program (BHOP) at The University of Tennessee Medical Center Cancer Institute to remove barriers such as transportation and cost of the screenings as well as improve access to breast health screenings for the women of Hancock County.
The program will involve digital screening mammograms close to home on the state-of-the-art mobile mammography unit.
“Many factors, such as fear, keep women from practicing good breast health,” said Dr. John L. Bell, Director of the Cancer Institute at UT Medical Center. “We are pleased that Komen Tri-Cities shares our mission and has chosen to support our program.
About Susan G. Komen® and the Komen Tri-Cities Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen. The Tri-Cities Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the Affiliate service area with the remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research.