A Patient's Guide to UT Day Surgery
UT Day Surgery in Knoxville, Tennessee, provides state-of-the-art patient care in an economical and time-saving manner for the patient who requires surgery but does not require an overnight hospital stay. Many of the basic questions you may have about your procedure are answered here. Please feel free to call us at 865-305-8585 with any additional questions. It is important to us that your visit be as pleasant as possible.
- Prior to Your Day of Surgery
- The Night Before Surgery
- The Morning of Your Surgery
- The Day of Surgery
- Your Surgery
- After Surgery
1. Your surgeon will schedule your surgery and discuss any laboratory or radiology tests you may need. At this time you may be asked to complete a pre-operative evaluation. Please inform us of any allergies you have and any medication you are taking. Please bring a list of your current medications and dosage. Feel free at any time to ask questions concerning your procedure.
2. A pre-registration packet may be given to you by your surgeon’s office. Please complete and review your information prior to the day of surgery. Patients may call prior to the date of surgery to review patient rights.
3. A basic fee has been established for your particular surgical procedure and may not include additional procedures your physician could order. Not included are fees from the surgeon, pathologist, anesthesiologist, radiologist or some ancillary services. Payment of the estimated price of the procedure will be required for elective, non-emergency procedures not covered by insurance. Estimated copayments and deductibles are due at the time of service. Any questions you have may be directed to UT Day Surgery at 865-305-8585, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
For additional insurance questions, click here.
4. If a change in your physical condition (such as fever, cold, cough, rash or important change in the condition for which you are to have surgery) develops prior to surgery, please notify your surgeon.
5. You are responsible for providing an accountable adult to transport you from the facility and remain with you for twenty-four hours if required by your doctor. You must not operate any motor vehicle if you have had general anesthesia or intravenous sedation.
Unless you are instructed otherwise by your surgeon, you may eat a light supper the night before surgery. Do not eat or drink anything (including water) after midnight. Also, do not chew gum or eat mints.
- Please bathe or shower with anti-bacterial soap to reduce the chance of infection.
- Please remove all make-up and nail polish. Do not apply lotions, oils or colognes.
- Please wear loose, casual clothing and low-heeled shoes.
- Please leave your valuables, contact lenses and jewelry at home or with the person accompanying you.
- Please bring your insurance card(s) and photo ID with you so we can make a copy for our records.
- If you have a living will or durable power of attorney please bring a copy.
- You may take your morning medications with sips of water.
Please plan to arrive at least one hour before your surgical procedure or at the time designated by the nurse who will contact you the day prior to your procedure.
For your parking convenience, follow the sign to UT Day Surgery Parking located on level 2 of Medical Building D. For more information about visiting campus, see Directions and Parking.
Take the elevator to UT Day Surgery located on the 1st floor of Medical Building D. Our staff will greet you and show you to your room where you will change clothes and prepare for your procedure.
Your nurse will escort you to a preoperative area prior to your surgery. Afterwards, you will be taken to the Recovery Room.
If you have had general anesthesia, once you are fully awake, we will assist you in preparing to go home. You will be discharged when you have recovered sufficiently and your surgeon and anesthesiologist feel you can safely leave.
Some of your reflexes may be temporarily impaired following surgery. Therefore, for your comfort and safety, please do not drive, operate machinery, drink alcoholic beverages, make important decisions or take any medications not prescribed by your doctor for at least 24-hours following discharge from UT Day Surgery.
Your nurse will carefully review your home care instructions with you. Be sure to follow your surgeon’s instructions regarding activity, medication and diet. Should any medical problems arise, contact your surgeon.
A member of our staff will escort you to your car. Please make prior arrangements for someone to drive you home.
Feel free to call your surgeon or UT Day Surgery at 865-305-8585 if you have questions.
UT Day Surgery is not an emergency facility. For after hours care, please contact your physician. If you are in need of immediate assistance, please go to the nearest emergency room. Thank you for choosing UT Day Surgery for your health care needs.