Call 865-305-7746 for more information or apply here and search “New Graduate RN” under “Job Description Keyword” at the bottom of the page.
The University of Tennessee Medical Center provides a one-year nurse residency program (NRP). The purpose of the program is to facilitate a successful transition from nursing student into professional nursing practice. Our goal is to facilitate the highest level of professional nursing practice to improve patient outcomes and retain nursing staff.
New nurses receive the education and support necessary to develop clinical knowledge, skills and judgment to become a high performing nurse. The program focuses on leadership, patient outcomes and professional role. Support is provided by the unit nurse manager, clinical nurse specialist/clinical nurse educator, nurse residency program coordinator, and unit-based nurse preceptors to integrate core content in the areas of professional development, leadership at the bedside and patient safety outcomes.
Expert nurses facilitate monthly sessions with emphasis on:
- Critical thinking
- Leadership abilities
- Patient safety
- Individual professional development plan
- Communication skills
- Research-based practice
The nurse resident must participate in all scheduled monthly educational sessions and will complete a capstone evidence based project over the 12-month period.
Under direct supervision of the supporting staff, the nurse resident provides nursing care to assigned patients in accordance with the UT Medical Center’s standards of care. He or she is evaluated using the performance expectations associated with the unit-based competency training and nurse residency program. Successful completion of the nurse residency program includes:
- Completion of a competency-based unit-specific orientation
- Scheduled monthly educations sessions
- Capstone evidence based practice project
- NRP surveys
- Hospital performance evaluation tools
- Graduated from an accredited nursing program. BSN preferred, ASN will be required to complete a contract to complete BSN within 3 years of hire. The organization offers tuition reimbursement.
- Successfully completed the NCLEX exam and results are posted to the Tennessee board of nursing website or other compact state.
- RN with less than 6 months experience
- Apply online to the Nurse Residency Program. Call 865-305-7746 for more information or apply here and search “New Graduate RN” under “Job Description Keyword” at the bottom of the page.
- Clinical evaluation – Candidates will be required to provide two professional letters of reference prior to interview for the position. References can be requested from your professor/instructor by asking them to use our online reference form.
- Applications are reviewed by Human Resources and an initial interview will be scheduled with a Recruiter. During this interview you will choose three of top areas of interest on the unit description form.
- Your application will be forwarded to hiring managers on the areas of interest. You will conduct an interview with the nurse manager.
- We offer an opportunity to shadow on the unit and complete a peer interview.
- It is highly discouraged for applicants to approach hiring managers directly in regards to residency openings. All applications must go through Human Resources.
Offers are contingent and are not considered official until the following items are received:
- Successful completion of the NCLEX exam
- Tennessee RN licensure or RN licensure from a compact state. License verification must be posted to the TN board of nursing website prior to start date.
- Passing a post-offer, pre-employment health screen and background check.