We’re excited you’re applying for a volunteer position. As a volunteer, you’ll receive many benefits and enjoy seeing an impact of your work in the community.
Now taking applications for:
- Lobby volunteer
- Surgery lounge attendants
- Gift shop helpers
- Active folks who love to walk (you could log a mile or more a shift)
The following are the steps to become a volunteer at The University of Tennessee Medical Center.
- Complete the on-line application for your age group: Adult Volunteers, College Students or Teens.
- Interview with Volunteer Services — we will contact you for an interview after your reference checks have cleared.
- Set up an appointment for your health assessment by calling 865-305-9515.
- Complete the mandatory hospital orientation. Orientations are held every other Monday from 7:30 am until 3:15 pm for volunteers and 7:30 am until 4:30 pm for interns. On the first day of your service, you will receive a uniform and schedule.
Note: You may be required to undergo some additional training before reporting to your volunteer area. You will receive training information once your assignment has been determined.
Medical internships are handled by individual departments, but Volunteer Services assists these departments with on-boarding. If you have been chosen for an internship, please follow the emailed instructions after you complete your application.
A criminal background check and drug screen are required as part of the on-boarding process. Once all your results are back, Volunteer Services will email you to set up an appointment to attend hospital orientation.
About the Department of Volunteer Services
The Department of Volunteer Services at The University of Tennessee Medical Center was established on April 1, 1962. Our mission is to serve through healing, education, and discovery.
Volunteers promote the welfare of the medical center through uncompensated service to the hospital and its patients.
Our volunteers work in many departments throughout the organization, from the gift shop to the information desk to the Cancer Institute. We make every effort to place volunteers in their primary area of interest. However, position availability varies between departments and locations across the hospital. Our goal is to match you with the right volunteer job for you.
“Alone, we do so little. Together, we can do so much.” — Helen Keller